- Environmental Studies
- Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)
- International Development
- Latin America
- Indigenous Communities in the Andes Mountains
- Office: Bldg. 47, Rm. 13G
- Phone: 805-756-1170
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
About James Keese
Dr. Keese's research interests include small farming communities, non-governmental organizations, and sustainable development in Latin America. He has spent four years in Latin America and has traveled to fourteen countries in the region (including, Mexico, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Brazil, Guatemala, and Cuba). He is especially interested in the economic and cultural ties that link California with Latin America. Dr. Keese has been actively involved in study abroad programs and has led programs to Mexico, Peru, Spain, and Australia. He created Cal Poly's Latin America Studies Program and study abroad programs in Peru and Mexico.
- B.S., Social Sciences, California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo (1987)
- M.A., International Management, Thunderbird School of Global Management (1989)
- Ph.D., Geography, University of Arizona (1996)
- GEOG 150: Human Geography
- GEOG 308: Global Geography
- GEOG 340: Geography of California
- GEOG 350: The Global Environment
- GEOG 370: Geography of Latin America
- ISLA 315: Environment and Development in Latin America
- WLC 310: Culture of Mexico
- Keese, James; Camacho, Alejandra; and Aurora Chavez. 2017. Follow-up Study of Improved Cookstoves in the Cuzco Region of Peru. Development in Practice 27(1):26-36.
- Keese, James R. 2011.The Geography of Volunteer Tourism: Place Matters. Tourism Geographies 13(2):257-279.
- Keese, James; Thomas Mastin; and David Yun. 2007. Identifying and Assessing Tropical Montane Forests on the Eastern Flank of the Ecuadorian Andes. Journal of Latin American Geography 6(1):63-84.
- Keese, James R; and Marco Freire Argudo. 2006. Decentralisation and NGO-Municipal Government Collaboration in Ecuador. Development in Practice 16(2):114-127.
- Keese, James 2003 "Smallholder Agriculture and Poverty Alleviation in Indigenous Communities." Chapter 1 in Here to Help: NGOs Combating Poverty in Latin America. R. Eversole ed. New York: M.E. Sharpe, Inc.
- Keese, James R. 2001. International NGOs and Sustainable Agricultural Development: A Methodological Analysis with Examples from Highland Ecuador. Ecuadorian Studies/Estudios Ecuatorianos. Vol. 1.
- Keese, James R. 2001. Watershed Management and Enhancement for the Morro Bay National Estuary: A Geographic Appraisal. The California Geographer. Vol. 41:33-48.
- Keese, James R. 1998. International NGOs and Land Use Change in a Southern Highland Region of Ecuador. Human Ecology. 26(3):451-468.