Change of Major

Anthropology-Geography and Sociology

The change of major is accomplished by completing an ICMA, which is available through the Social Sciences Department office. The change of major will be approved once the student has successfully met all of the requirements delineated on the ICMA. The ICMA must be feasible to complete and be completed in no more than two quarters.

Students must complete at least one quarter at Cal Poly before requesting a change of major.

Requesting a Change of Major

Students should meet with the chair of the Social Sciences Department to complete the ICMA and must meet the following requirements:

  • Students need to complete three courses with the major prefix (ANT or GEOG for the Anthropology-Geography major or SOC for the Sociology major).
  • Students will be required to complete STAT 217 or STAT 221 with a C- or better.
  • Students must have a Cal Poly cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better, or a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better in each of the last two consecutive quarters.

The above policy also applies to students wishing to add a major offered by the Social Sciences Department as a second major.

Students who enter into an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA) with the department and are not accepted into the anthropology-geography major or sociology major within two quarters will not be eligible to reapply to that major. In this event, students are advised to consider pursuing a minor offered by the Social Sciences Department.

Department Contact: Terry Jones, Department Chair, 805-756-2260

Related Content